Monday, June 24, 2019

Seeing... both Forward and Aft

We stopped the car and got out for a quick peek at the roaring Bridal Veil Falls. The power was felt both in noise and in the swirling mist. But I was far enough away to not get wet!

Grabbing the RB67 and my Sekor C 180mm lens, I wondered into a clearing and setup to capture the first picture below. I composed several horizontal and vertical images, and ended up with this vertical composition.

The noise was intense as I carefully composed and selected the camera settings.  The final edit is what I emotionally felt at the time, with the water standing out as if shouting, "I am the star today!"


"FORWARD"

After enjoying the display of power and majesty, I turned to see what else was in view.  A good habit I might add... and something I try harder to do these days.  Directly behind me (aft) was yet another fall, a bit farther away, and drowned out by the roar of Bridal Veil.

To the left of El Capitan was this view of Ribbon Falls.  A lesser known, often dry, drainage that somehow escapes the Upper Yosemite Falls drainage from the basin to the north of Yosemite Valley. This water source is far enough to the west to get divided by the majestic dome of El Capitan. It normally flows for just a short season, during the snow melt, but this year it was flowing as if it permanently belonged to the grand scenery.



"AFT"

Together, these opposing water features provide for a nice diptych titled "Forward and Aft" and also a valuable lesson in "seeing". We must keep our head on a swivel, if we are to see all the wonder God has made!

Keep looking... fore and aft!

No comments:

Post a Comment