Tuesday, September 15, 2020

Waiting through the Storm

Not a weather event, but a fire storm! Another huge fire, swept down on Camp Nelson in a fury! And so we wait, watching the social media updates, hoping and praying for protection.

God please protect those fighting this fire, keep them safe and out of harms way.


And I would have to admit, it has brought a few tears. The impact that the Camp Nelson Cabin had on my youth is being revealed each day, as I ponder those years. Summers hanging out with Walt Sommer, and helping with construction projects, and exploring the hillsides. Hiking for hours, just getting home before dark. The yard work, the cool afternoons, cold watermelon taken fresh from our little fake spring. And those Shasta sodas!


And, while I know that the man I became can't be easily taken away... the place sure can! The structures are simply a means of protection. From the elements, and from a few wild animals. Burn them down, and the man they created still remains. At least until the Lord calls me home.

Spending time in deep thought these last few days has quickly left me with this: people matter, material things do not. Those carefree summers were a privilege. I can only pray that I pass some of these memories on to my grandkids!





No comments:

Post a Comment